SHOP SAVVY THIS SUMMER
Tuesday, 23 June 2020 | Social
You’d have to have been hiding in a cave if you hadn’t seen the sudden rush to the shops as the lockdown was recently eased further. But shopping needn’t be stressful.
Store assistant manager, Michelle Swinscoe explains how to shop smart this summer: “During the lockdown, customers have probably had time to reassess their décor, maybe do a bit of decorating, and now want to upgrade a few pieces. We want to ensure customers are buying items that will stand the test of time and make a positive difference to their surroundings.
“Sofas are one item of furniture that many shoppers have been requesting during our private appointment bookings – after all, we’ve been spending a lot more time than usual sat on them!”
Here’s Michelle’s top tips to savvy shopping when purchasing new items for the home post lockdown:
- Will you still love it in a few years’ time? Make sure your purchase is a wise-one. Yes, you may love that print now, but how long will that lust last? If the answer is not very, try choosing something more neutral and jazz it up with some soft accessories. For example, a sofa can be shaken up with fab cushions which are cheaper to swap out when it’s time for a change.
- Are the fabric and colour going to suit your lifestyle? Muddy pet paws and sticky fingers do not mix well with a cream sofa!
- Do your measurements before you visit the showroom. Will that sideboard fit in that perfect space you’ve reserved in your dining room? Could be an expensive mistake to make…
- Select pieces of furniture that are well-made using quality materials. The Home Company supports a number of British businesses, including Baa Stools, which are made using Welsh wool and Alstons sofas, which are crafted in Colchester.
- A piece of art on the wall can instantly lift and transform (we love the sound of that)! We have some gorgeous original pieces from a number of artists, including Victoria Alderson. - Shop local and support the fantastic independent shops nestled on the high street!
- Remember to stay alert and shop safe! We have a number of procedures in place throughout the store, including hand sanitising stations, regular cleaning of high touch areas and two metre floor markers.