Light Up Dark Corners With The Home Company
Thursday, 19 September 2019 | Admin
As dark nights kick in, reflect light back into your room using a beautiful lamp.
Skipton’s long-established furniture and furnishings store, The Home Company, has some great ideas on how to brighten up a moody corner.
Said Linda Lee, store manager: “When the clocks go back and the dark nights start to creep in, a table or standing lamp is the perfect way to wake up a dim space.
“As there’s such a wide choice on the market, there really is something out there to suit any budget or taste – plus, if you choose a high-quality option it will last for years!”
Here are Linda’s top tips for choosing a new lamp to brighten up your room:
• Look at the style of your room. Do you want the lamp to stand out or blend in with the decor?
• If you dare to be bold and want to add a splash of colour to your room, choose a lamp with a brightly coloured base or shade to draw attention (such as the Paprika ceramic table lamp as pictured).
• For those who want to make the lamp a real feature, opt for a piece in sparkling metals and chrome to bring a chic feel to any modern home (such as the Gemini table lamp or Jenna black/chrome metal twist floor lamp pictured).
• Consider how much light you want and explore the different options available. For example, a dark shade will not allow as much light to filter through as a lighter hue. Translucent shades of fabrics or paper are great for reading and adding ambience to your room. Thicker materials, such as silk or laminated card are perfect for setting the mood.
• Proportion is key – the shade should be about two-thirds of the height of the lamp.
Said Linda: “You don’t have break the bank to update your room. Simple tweaks to accessories and soft furnishings can transform a home from drab to dazzling and give a space a new lease of life.”