First Home Decor Ideas
Thursday, 30 August 2018 | Social
Buying a first home is one of the biggest decisions you can make and planning on interior design can be a daunting prospect.
Skipton’s long established furniture and furnishings store, The Home Company has some helpful tips for getting started.
Linda Lee, the lifestyle store’s manager said: “Moving into your first home is such an exciting time. You’ve settled on a house and now you’re ready to make it a home – we know that there are many things to think about when it comes to furnishing a space, so we want to make it as easy as possible for our customers.”
Here are Linda’s top tips:
- Always have a budget in mind. It can be easy to get carried away, so make a list of the things you need most urgently, then itemise the ‘nice to haves’ for if there is budget left.
- Measure living areas. An empty room can seem much larger than it actually is. If a room is on the small side consider the lighting, which can create the illusion of space. Use table, floor lamps or uplighters or spot lights to light specific areas. Lighting can also be used to create atmosphere – soft diffused lighting adds a warm, even romantic ambience to a room while home studies and kitchens benefit from sharper, brighter lighting.
- Some years ago bold colours such as strong reds and vivid blues were on trend but more recently, and certainly for this year, we are seeing a softer palette, with duck egg blue, greys and greens. If neutrals aren’t your thing make a bold statement with modern monochrome, sophisticated and timeless it can really make a room look striking.
- Remember you don’t have to buy everything all at once. Simple accessories can transform a living space from drab to dazzling. Try a beautiful ceramic table lamp with a trendy chrome finish and taffeta shade. Or floor lamps in sparkling metals and cushions and throws in deep shades of velvet and satin to add a feeling of luxury.
- Finally if you invest in one thing, buy the best bed and bedding you can afford. When you’ve just moved in and are still surrounded by boxes, take comfort in the knowledge that at least you will get a good night’s sleep!
The Home Company has thrived for over 30 years thanks to a belief in bringing together contemporary furniture and accessories displayed in an inspirational way so customers can pick up ideas for their own homes.