Sofa So Good
Thursday, 22 February 2018 | Social
Did you know that throughout its life a sofa will host roughly 782 visitors? So how to choose something that’s so important to your everyday life?
Linda Lee, manager of Skipton’s long established furniture and furnishings store The Home Company, has some top tips for buying the perfect settee for your home.
“There are so many things to consider when it comes to buying new furnishings, especially a new couch. It needs to offer comfort but also have great design and style that suits your home,” said Linda.
“It’s a big investment and will be in the living area for a long time, so it pays dividend to research your options and take your time.”
Linda suggests making a list of the features and styles you’d like, then itemising the ‘nice to haves’ if there is budget left. But most importantly of all, buy the best quality you can afford.
Other top tips include:
- Be sure you measure up before buying: sometimes an empty room can seem much larger than it actually is and it’s important that your new furniture isn’t too overpowering.
- For those with a small living area, a white sofa can max up the light and create a sense of space (e.g. the Himolla Chester range).
- Easy-to-manage, neutral coloured sofa collections have grown in popularity over the years. Team with cushions in vibrant shades of oranges and yellows to add personality and bring depth to your decorating scheme (the Dales Seville Sofa pictured is ideal).
- Try before you buy. Test the different styles, fills and materials available and get a feel of what’s around and on offer. Consider the sofa’s use and amount of wear it will receive. For example, a textured settee will show less wear than a smooth one. Leather is also a good option if you’re looking for a couch that will last.
- If comfort is key, look for collections that have been specifically designed to meet the body’s needs for movement and support when seated (e.g. The Stressless range from Ekornes. It is available in a number of shapes, sizes and designs that suit a range of interior schemes).
- For a quick, inexpensive way to update the living room a statement armchair is the perfect quick fix and can instantly draw the eye. (See our Dales Marseille Accent chair which can be teamed with the majority of decorating schemes and is a stylish addition to any room).